Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Conversations with rules and limits

Part 1: You were asked to engage in a conversation for 15 minutes where you were not allowed to use
any version of a symbolic language (no speaking, writing, or ASL).

A.      I had previously thought under the circumstances that this would be easy assignment with family so I tested it to see if it worked outside of a controlled environment (like outside my home). My three daughters and I had previously agreed to meet for some early holiday shopping together at some stores and though I did not tell them of my assignment it went surprising well. By not telling them about the parameters of the exercise I wanted to observe how they would each react to my silence while we walked down aisle. The ending result was that my eldest noticed first and signaled her sisters of my silence. Interesting enough they huddled together a little away from me to discuss a reason I wouldn't be talking to them. They talked amongst each other than after they asked and was assured I was not mad about anything they awaited my cues of subtle gestures and expressions when they noticed I would not verbally respond.  This lead me to believe we spend a lot of time together because we are very in sync (which made this exercise easier than I excepted), that silence on my part didn't affect the shopping trip in a negative way.        

B.      My youngest daughter was in charge of the conversation initially because she was furthest behind in her shopping then the rest of the family. My other daughters were involved in the conversation as well asking questions and adding their opinions while I sighed or used body language to answer them. I was even able to change the topic of whose present to search for next, because I motioned with my hand to my waist which is around the height of my grandson, the gesture was seen and we headed to the boys section of the store for a present. I picked items up in the store and displayed them for prospective gifts and if we agreed they went to the cart if not it was discussed and though we stated our opinions in different ways until it was settle but usually it was unanimous on chooses. This was conducted with three individuals (my daughters) along with me; and it went fairly well but I’m not sure it would have the same ending results if it were to be with strangers for example. I felt equally involved in the conversations perhaps even more so because they would pause and look to me for my answers while shopping.   


C.      I believe both individuals (verbally and non) are equally match within their own population to communicate complex ideas. Spoken language is universal but we are also able to formulate gestures and motions to associate with words so the result is very much the same in my opinion.  Verbal and non-verbal cultures may express some frustration while interacting until a middle ground it met but the same can be said if two verbal cultures speak different languages until a basic line of communication is established.   

Part 2: You were asked to spend 15 minutes communicating without any physical embellishments, i.e., no hand signals, not vocal intonation, not head, facial, or body movements.

·         This experience was not as simple in the same way as the one before hand because without the use of body language of any fashion on my part the conversation seemed to drag on rather than last 15 minutes, my interest in the conversation along with my partners was scattered and lifeless. I struggled not to gesture to my daughters which had us repeat the exercise twice so that the rules of the assignment were properly conveyed.  They tried to engage me in conversation on the way to dinner but to no avail the conversation on my part was lacking. My daughters eventually turned my nonchalant tone into a game by teasing the others. They would state things like “See she agrees with me so let’s do this” or “She’s on my side cause I’m the favorite, see she doesn't deny it” or “I broke that thing that one time” and while I was able to speak it was hard to be less enthusiastic as I normally do while talking without tones and not using body language.  

·         I believe signs and gestures in our daily language are very important, being able to express things with non-speech techniques help us communicate effectually even when we don’t know were using them. A conversation without body language takes some of the interest and much needed embodiment out of our speech leaving it emotionless. Everyone from professionals to children use and read body language to gather information like another’s their state of mind, creative perspective (personality) and communication skills (education wise). When we speak to people under certain circumstances like hostage situations, depressed individuals, altered state of minds body language can play a key role on how we can evaluate them and respond accordingly. And though humans can describe feels and intentions thoroughly, being observant through body language is an aide that continues to provide insight on others on an everyday base.


·         People who have trouble reading body language may misunderstand certain aspects in conversations and situations which can lead to poor results. Social cues help us navigate society and I think if someone is having a difficult time reading and understanding body language it won’t be too hard to identify them. A situation that benefits from not reading someone’s body language for example is if someone has recently experienced a trauma leaving them delusional (they may have an altered state of mind) what they say or do may be questionable, or perhaps encountering a highly intelligent criminal (pathological liars) who ensures that the situation is going to be ok, even calming children can benefit when they don’t understand body language of a situation and only rely on reassuring words from someone. All and all in most situations benefit from body language but certain experiences may have good results if body language isn't observed.         

2 comments:

  1. I love that you were able to do this experiment in a different setting than originally set for! It is nice to read that the first part of the experiment actually went well for someone, not many of the blogs I have read so far were able to show much success with either part of the experiment. What seems to have worked to your advantage with this was having your girls already be "in synced" with each other. For your girls to be able to catch on to your ques and motions is really interesting. I hope that my daughters will be able to do that when they get older. I do agree with you that if you had done this with strangers, it would have not been as easy. Having people around you that know your body language, even just a little bit, helps so much more than trying to same gestures with a stranger. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting experiment. Like you, I wonder if this would have been different if it were conducted with strangers, or other adults. But your experiment is also unique in that it was conducted while you and your kids were actively involved in doing something, not just sitting around talking about abstract ideas. Gave me some new ideas for adapting questions for this assignment in the future!

    Remember what a 'complex idea' actually is. Could you explain Einstein's theory of relativity without symbolic language? Or Darwin's theory of evolution? How do you explain the atomic structure of a sugar molecule without it? Could we even do science without symbolic language? While I agree that those with symbolic language may underestimate the capability of those without it to communicate, there are actual limits of what you can explain and describe.

    While I accept the principle that the two opposing cultures could come to a mutual understanding in an ideal world, does that reflect what happens in the real world? We have real life examples of this situation. In Southern California, we have daily interactions between "native speakers" of English and "non-native" immigrant populations. Does that always go well for both sides? Or does one side have an advantage? Science deals with real world issues, not ideal situations. We have to acknowledge that those conditions exists first before we can understand them and then try to resolve them. Stepping off of my soapbox now... :-)

    You are so brave to do this with your kids. My own kids would have so taken advantage of the situation and manipulated it to their advantage in no time flat!

    In general, I agree with your discussion the adaptive benefits of body language, but a key one was left out, and I think you kids were taking advantage of that issue. Humans actually use body language as a bit of a lie detector. If your words don't match your body language, we tend to believe the body language, which is harder to fake, and assume you are lying. This causes problems if you know the person, but think about the implications if you are meeting a person for the first time. Would you trust them if their body language didn't match their words? Do you think you would trust them to be reliable, to help when asked, to act fairly in a business transaction? Probably not. Reading body language tells us who we can trust and who we can't and it has far-reaching implications throughout our lives.

    There are specific groups of people who have difficulty reading body language, such as those who are blind and those in the autism spectrum.

    I agree with your suggestions on situations where body language may be unreliable, but there are relatively everyday situations that fit this description as well. Do all cultures use the same system of body language? If you traveled to another country, could you trust the information your interpreted from body language of native people or might it give you misleading information?

    ReplyDelete