Total Pageviews

Friday, November 7, 2014

Analogy/Homology Examples

1)      Two species that contain homologous traits.
a)     Horses and Shrews (the different species with homologous traits)
b)     They even have the same bone structures in the forearms:   humerus, ulna, radius, carpals, metacarpals, and phalanges. The functions of these limbs are different; the horses use this for walking, galloping even sleeping upright. The Northern Short-tailed shrew uses these for crawling, grasping things and even defense.
c)      These animals both part of the mammalia (mammal) class, similar habitats like grasslands and forests. The shrew unlike the horse has many predators and another difference is the horses are herbivores and shrews are carnivorous.



Lastly two species that have Analogous Traits.
Human and octopus 
• Octopuses are Cephalopod and humans are Homo Sapien Sapien. Their eyes have the same eyelid, cornea, pupil, iris, ciliary muscle, lens, retina, optic nerve and optic ganglion. Both carnivorous animals and both part of the Animalia kingdom but unlike our eyes these creatures don’t have a blind spot and have heighten abilities like seeing in the dark to live whereas human eyes need light to observe and survive.
 


6 comments:

  1. Hello Elsy,

    Good job articulating the homologous traits. I had no idea what a shrew was by the way. After reading you post I had a good understanding and this was a good example of how the traits are the same but use in a different way.

    Your post on the function of the eyes was well written. By the way, I can't figure out how to post my pictures in good order. You made good use of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the shrew was inspired by an animal x-ray. The bone structure was similar to primates/human and wanted to do something a little different. I added my text and left room so I could insert the pictures later (after I had saved them to my computer to ensure the resolution was good), then added more text to complete the work. Thanks again

      Delete
  2. Elsy,

    Firstly, I am happy to see that someone else chose the horse as well! And great choice on using the shrew! What a fresh idea. I appreciate the information on how the limbs serve different functions in the horse and the shrew, but I would have also liked more information on how the limbs differed structurally. That would have been very interesting, as I know so many vertebrates have this general forelimb structure in common with small genetic differences (i.e. bone length or size).

    As for the octopus and the human! What a concept! I had no idea that the octopus has the same general eye structure as a human. I found that very fascinating...especially since we are so different from an octopus.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the advice, I read your blog and was envious of all the research, I was unsure how to describe my findings for my own, poor excuse but I've been under the weather.

      Delete
  3. The first part of each section asks for a 'description of each organism, not just to identify them. These sections should have been expanded.

    I agree that horses and shrews have similar structures, but remember that you needed to identify differences in structure that mirrored the differences in function. How does the skeletal structure of the horse and shrew reveal their differences in the functions of their forelimbs?

    Correct, both the shrew and the horse are mammals. How does this common ancestry help confirm that these traits are homologous traits?

    I love the example of the eyes as analogous traits. Are the differences you describe due to different ancestry or just different function? Which answer to that question must you have to confirm that these traits are analogous instead of homologous?

    You identify the classificatory groups these organisms belong to but you don't discuss common ancestry. How do we know that these eyes are not from common descent?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Elsy,
    First off i want to let you know that you did a fantastic job with your comparisons. I loved loved loved that you did an octopus eye and a human eye. It blows my mind to know that they are similar in some kind of way. Thought it was very interesting to know octopus eye don't have a blind spot.

    ReplyDelete